On Air Now

This is the Coast

Midnight - 8:00am

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Robin Thicke

Blurred Lines (Feat. T.i. & Pharrell)

Download

Runswick Bay Unlikely to get More Public Toilets

Sunday, 9 May 2021 07:00

By Carl Gavaghan, Local Democracy Reporter

It is unlikely that extra toilets will be provided in a popular seaside village despite claims that visitors have been relieving themselves in residents’ gardens.

People living in the village of Runswick Bay north of Whitby have asked Scarborough Council to provide more facilities in the village, which was named as Britain’s best beach last year by the Sunday Times.

The council closed a set of toilets at the top of the village in 2017 due to a lack of demand and it had been hoped that decision could be reversed.

The council’s portfolio holder for Neighbourhoods, Cllr Tony Randerson, told a meeting of the authority’s full council this week that he had visited Runswick Bay and felt the current facilities at the bottom of the village were “adequate”.

The concerns of the villagers had been raised by Whitby councillor Glenn Goodberry.

Cllr Goodberry highlighted that temporary toilets had been provided in Scabrorough’s South Bay while its restrooms were being refurbished.

Cllr Goodberry said that people did not want to see a return to the issues of last summer where residents reported finding evidence of “number ones and number twos” in their gardens.

He said:

“Is there any possibility about having temporary toilet facilities at Runswick Bay just to alleviate the problems in the coming summer season?”

Cllr Randerson said that there were no plans to provide new toilets but did offer a glimmer of hope.

He said:

“With regards to the Runswick Bank Top toilets there has been interest shown by a business person to change it into a cafe-cum-toilet.

“So that could well happen in the near future.”

He added:

“The likelihood of us providing temporary toilets in Runswick Bay are extremely slim.”

Cllr Randerson revealed that it had been costing the borough council £1.15 for each person using the bank top toilets when the decision was taken to close them four years ago.

That was compared to 11p per person for the toilets at the bottom of the village.

Cllr Randerson said: “Clearly it was shut for a reason, there was a lack of footfall .”

He added that Hinderwell Parish Council could also look to take over the toilets and re-open them.

Did you find this article useful?

This is the Coast is committed to providing a daily local news service for the Yorkshire Coast. We are a small locally owned and operated business which employs professional journalists and reporters. We do not receive any public funding or grants and we are entirely funded by our local commercial operations. We enjoy fabulous support from local businesses who work with us on their advertising and marketing campaigns, but the cost of providing high quality, well researched, fact checked local news coverage is significant.

If you appreciate what This is the Coast does, and would like to help support our journalism, please consider supporting us on a monthly basis today.

A small contribution from all our readers would really help support independent journalism for the Yorkshire Coast.

More from Yorkshire Coast News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Sunny

    High: 9°C | Low: 6°C

  • Filey

    Sunny

    High: 9°C | Low: 6°C

  • Whitby

    Sunny

    High: 9°C | Low: 2°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Hornsea

    Sunny

    High: 9°C | Low: 7°C

  • Driffield

    Sunny

    High: 11°C | Low: 4°C

News