On Air Now

This is the Coast

Midnight - 6:00am

  • 01723 336444

PM Updated on Bilsdale Mast Progress

Rishi Sunak MP has been updated on progress rebuilding the TV mast which was destroyed by fire in 2021

TV transmission company Arqiva which owns and operates the Bilsdale mast, says it has provided Rishi Sunak MP with a progress update on restoration of the Bilsdale mast following the fire in August 2021.

The mast site sits in Mr Sunak’s Richmond (Yorks) Constituency. On Friday the PM visited The Buck Inn, Chop Gate, in sight of the new mast and met with the team buildign the new mast.

Arqiva CEO, Shuja Khan, alongside members of the project team building the new mast, provided details of the project so far, including a reminder that the new mast is expected to be providing TV signals to the area in Spring 2023.

Temporary masts and relay stations have provided the service to the vast majority of viewers and listeners in the period since the fire.

Shuja Khan, CEO, Arqiva, said:

“We’re sorry for the ongoing disruption caused by the fire at our Bilsdale mast. The Arqiva team has been in close and regular contact with Mr Sunak since the fire, to provide help and guidance to those who were experiencing problems with their service as a result and we have now restored some services to more than 99.5% of those affected.

“This incident highlighted the value that the public put on the TV and radio services that they get through an aerial and I’m grateful for Mr Sunak’s support for our mast rebuild project and welcome the opportunity today to update him personally on our good progress.

“When complete, the Bilsdale mast will be one of the tallest structures in the country, and under normal circumstances a build of this kind would take up to two years. We are working hard to complete the job in a significantly shorter timeframe to restore full service for everyone in the area.”

Rishi Sunak, MP for the Richmond (Yorks) constituency, said:

“The fire at Bilsdale transmitter in August last year caused significant difficulties for many of my constituents, many of them elderly, who rely on broadcast television and radio services to watch and listen to their favourite programmes. While the vast majority of constituents did have their service restored shortly after the fire, I am pleased to receive reassurance that plans for the full restoration of these services are on track for spring 2023.”

 

Did you find this article useful?

This is the Coast is committed to providing a daily local news service for the Yorkshire Coast. We are a small locally owned and operated business which employs professional journalists and reporters. We do not receive any public funding or grants and we are entirely funded by our local commercial operations. We enjoy fabulous support from local businesses who work with us on their advertising and marketing campaigns, but the cost of providing high quality, well researched, fact checked local news coverage is significant.

If you appreciate what This is the Coast does, and would like to help support our journalism, please consider supporting us on a monthly basis today.

A small contribution from all our readers would really help support independent journalism for the Yorkshire Coast.

More from Yorkshire Coast News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Filey

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Whitby

    Sunny

    High: 11°C | Low: 3°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Hornsea

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Driffield

    Sunny

    High: 12°C | Low: 6°C

News