On Air Now

Mike Nicholson

10:00am - 2:00pm

  • 01723 336444

Now Playing

Dua Lipa

Training Season

Download

Council Celebrate New Homes Boost in Scarborough Borough

Almost 200 new affordable homes were built in the borough of Scarborough in 2021-2022 according to the council.

The newly built 192 affordable homes mark the highest level of completion in Scarborough since 2014-15.

Cllr Carl Maw, the cabinet member for stronger communities and housing, presented the information in his work report to a full meeting of the authority on July 4.

He said that of the new homes, 164 were developed directly by housing associations working in partnership with Scarborough Council and Homes England.

Cllr Maw said in his report:

“The homes completed provide a good mix of type and tenure and are spread across the Borough.

“They include 70 homes for older people at the new Filey Fields Extra Care scheme and a further 29 homes in rural locations including 12 homes on a rural exception site in Staithes.”

However, Scarborough Council does not own or build any affordable housing itself, having transferred all its stock to Yorkshire Coast Homes in 2003.

Speaking at a meeting of the council’s planning committee on Thursday, Cllr Paul Riley, said:

“I think we’re building 450 homes a year, and the resident population is static.

“I seem to recall from a report that the population has actually slightly reduced over the past decade. I think it said that in the eight years up to 2025, the population was only going to increase by 370.”

According to a 2021 report, 97,000 or 15 per cent of North Yorkshire’s population lived in Scarborough and Whitby.

The report, which examines key demographics in the area, also notes that Scarborough & Whitby has higher levels of both owner-occupied properties as well as of private rented accommodation, than England as a whole.

On the topic of housing, Cllr Maw added at the full council meeting that the authority had also been working with North Yorkshire County Council to help deliver the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.

So far, the scheme has resulted in more than 50 sponsors providing homes for refugees in the borough, with Cllr Maw adding that so far the council’s role has “been in vetting the suitability of accommodation to ensure it is safe”.

He said:

“We also have a key role to play in terms of failed sponsorships and subsequent homelessness. To date, only one sponsorship in the borough has failed.”

Did you find this article useful?

This is the Coast is committed to providing a daily local news service for the Yorkshire Coast. We are a small locally owned and operated business which employs professional journalists and reporters. We do not receive any public funding or grants and we are entirely funded by our local commercial operations. We enjoy fabulous support from local businesses who work with us on their advertising and marketing campaigns, but the cost of providing high quality, well researched, fact checked local news coverage is significant.

If you appreciate what This is the Coast does, and would like to help support our journalism, please consider supporting us on a monthly basis today.

A small contribution from all our readers would really help support independent journalism for the Yorkshire Coast.

More from Yorkshire Coast News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Follow Us

Get Our Apps

Our Apps are now available for iOS, Android and Smart Speakers.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa
  • Available on Roku

Today's Weather

  • Scarborough

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Filey

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 6°C

  • Whitby

    Sunny

    High: 11°C | Low: 6°C

  • Bridlington

    Sunny

    High: 11°C | Low: 6°C

  • Hornsea

    Sunny

    High: 10°C | Low: 7°C

  • Driffield

    Sunny

    High: 13°C | Low: 5°C

News